Sunday, October 29, 2006

Update from the jungle




Ok so my cleanliness levels have dropped a bit. Today I put on clean pants and the sensation was a bit too unfamiliar. ha, well I guess thats how it goes.
There are a lot of volunteers here right now- a bunch are leaving this week but for right now we all have some time on our hands, which is nice. I spent an hour and a half this afternoon watching the three elephants we have here. They are all extremely tame and not really too fenced in, so you can go right up to them. Very cool. There is a separate program here where you can take care of the elephants but you cant do that and the wildlife center at the same time so I think i'm going to pass, although I might change my mind.I would get to ride them into the lake to wash them...
I've had requests for more pics, so I've added a bunch, plus some videos(I LOVE my digital camera). The building is called the volunteer house, where we have all of our meals and hang out when there are no jobs to be done. Stayed up late playing word and car games last night- I learned some new ones for those los angelistos that like that stuff. Don't lie, I know you do. There's also a picture of two of the volunteers, Noelle and Steph(the only one that came at the same time as me, an adventurous Kiwi) in the lake after we all cleaned the otter pool and got disgusting. The otters are friendly enough that they stay in the enclosure while you clean it, walking on you and sometimes the occasional love nibble. Those are some of the gibbon islands in the back. Also a pic of a dusky langur, quite possibly the cutest damn creature here. They make kind of a weird purring type noise.
One video is of Gilbert the gibbon playing in his cage. He's right next to the food shed and really friendly, though we're not supposed to touch any of the animals, he reaches out and holds you if you are working there. I told you they can move quickly. The other video is Mieow the tiger, who's probably got the saddest/most interesting story here. He was a gas station attraction, tied up and fed chicken scraps and twinkies from birth. By the time the center got a hold of him, he couldn't even sit up due to major nervous system problems(which he will never recover from), infections in his stomach and where they declawed his front feet. He's got a big enclosure now and a pool to play in. He's sweet and can't move very fast but he IS a tiger so we don't go in with him. Ok, enough out of me. Tonight we are all getting together at one of the farther volunteer houses for a massive game of Kings and most likely excessive drinking. Tomorrow's off so I can sleep as late as I want. Next news from Hua Hin! Talk to you all soon!
ok so the videos don't seem to want to upload. will try again from hopefully a faster connection in hua hin. lata!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey there,

pls be careful around the elphants. they're awfully heavy. i'm still waiting for the 45 lbs of otter poo you promised. pls send immediately. there is very little time.

love,
matt

12:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home