Monkey business
I discovered a bakery that sells chocolate mousse for 50 rupees (75 cents) per cup. The enjoyment level is similar to eating a cup of my mom's chocolate crack frosting. This is a dangerous situation. Will keep you posted on potential weight gain...
We are now in our new house in Kathmandu, which is a lot cheaper and still really nice, despite being a little dark.
Slept until 930 today and still thought it was the middle of the night... Since we're there for two weeks though, we're going to see if we can move to a place with a window to the outside tomorrow. Its also in a section of Thamel we hadn't really frequented before, and I like all the little shops around us. In other news, Vin and I are both feeling much better than last time I wrote and are back to the semi constant low grade belly ache that is very tolerable.
Yesterday after our big move we finally got off our keisters and went to the monkey temple here in Kathmandu. It is a huge stupa and surrounding buildings on a hill overlooking the city and absolutely swarming with Rhesus macaques. We got a taxi over there (we're getting much better at getting a good price for our taxi rides!) and spent about 2 hours perusing the temple area, lounging, and taking pictures of monkeys. There were hundreds of them, and they ranged from cute little bebitas to huge angry male beasts who were just a little bit scary when they came near. Altogether another fun experience and the views of Kathmandu were magnificent. It is an ENORMOUS city! Sprawl, sprawl, sprawl. 
We haven't done much today except wander around a bit and continue to try to ascertain just exactly how and when we are supposed to get to the KAT center. Email exchange has been going on for a few days now and we still seem to be missing a few key points about starting tomorrow. Worst case we take a taxi, which is not so bad, but I know the buses will probably be much much cheaper.
This evening we went back to Bouddanath (see earlier posts) because every month at the full moon they (allegedly) light up the temple with butter lamps which makes it look even more magical than usual.
Unfortunately, even though we checked the date of the full moon (today), there was no lighting up with butter lamps. Was nice to walk around the stupa with the hundreds of other people making the ritual clockwise circle of the structure. Got a decent picture of the stupa which I added.
So tomorrow we start our little job here - we are both looking forward to it immensely and I will definitely keep you all posted as often as I can. Wishing everyone health and happiness as the holiday season begins!
We are now in our new house in Kathmandu, which is a lot cheaper and still really nice, despite being a little dark.
We haven't done much today except wander around a bit and continue to try to ascertain just exactly how and when we are supposed to get to the KAT center. Email exchange has been going on for a few days now and we still seem to be missing a few key points about starting tomorrow. Worst case we take a taxi, which is not so bad, but I know the buses will probably be much much cheaper.
This evening we went back to Bouddanath (see earlier posts) because every month at the full moon they (allegedly) light up the temple with butter lamps which makes it look even more magical than usual.
So tomorrow we start our little job here - we are both looking forward to it immensely and I will definitely keep you all posted as often as I can. Wishing everyone health and happiness as the holiday season begins!

1 Comments:
Love the city photos - I tell you, those darn monkeys would scare me just kicking around like that. Those critters carry such horrific diseases, I'd be wanting my full protective gear to go anywhere near them! What an experience though - it's not every day you get to see 100 macaques just hanging out on the street.....Glad to hear you've both started feeling a wee bit better too. If you can only get a room with a view, it'll be a perfect couple of weeks! Hope your arrangements to get to work finally all fell into place ok!
Post a Comment
<< Home