KAT, kitties and Kathmandu
Hi everyone!
Well, we made it through our first week at KAT and it has been interesting.
The center itself is nice - of course it could use more funding, more space and more supplies, but that's to be expected. We hope to make at least a small contribution while we are here (maybe new towels?), and then hope to send a care package at some point from the states with more much needed stuffs.
Unfortunately, the organization of the volunteers at the center is a little confusing, and we both are not sure exactly what our role is or how much we are helping. They seem reasonably well staffed and able to run without volunteers, and we would have to be available for a much longer period if we were to inclined to try to make changes.
Mostly we just play with doggies all day (and one kitten- yay), do some treatments, and go for rides to either do pick ups of drop offs of street dogs. I put in a couple pictures of cute animals for your enjoyment. Please, if anyone is interested in adopting a Nepali dog, I am happy to try and bring one back - there are so many here that need homes! 
I spoke with my mom recently and she was surprised to hear how large Kathmandu is. Truth be told, it is the by far the busiest, craziest city I have ever been in. Including NYC. Including Bangkok. Including Basseterre. There is no organization of anything, and on a two way street (a narrow street! with pedestrians!) you can have up to five lanes of traffic - usually motorcycles but also taxis - going one direction all at different speeds. Everyone is honking and there are people EVERYWHERE. Our experience going to and from the KAT center has only confirmed that this is how all of Kathmandu works, not just Thamel. The only difference is that the roads are wider and you can have about 10 or 12 bikes widthwise per car length. People shoot out of alleyways on their bikes right into traffic at almost full speed. The buses stop an go enough to give anyone a belly ache. And the buses themselves have seats for about 12 and hold about 25 during busy times, with the door boy at times physically shoving people in.
Then we walk an additional 15 minutes back to our room and have to CROSS two main roads on foot. It is insane. I am grateful every night that we make it home with our health and our toes, and I must admit there has been more than one post bus ride shot of whiskey in our room after our 45 minute commute back from the KAT center. That said, we are definitely getting a bit more than the normal tourist experience, which is always good. I tried to take a good "busy" picture today, but as it is Saturday, the volume of vehicles is down a bit - I took one anyway so you can see what a quiet day on the streets of Thamel looks like. Fun stuff.
We are still working out the plan for our last days here (should know by tomorrow), but they most definitely include some serious meditation and relaxation. Will keep you all posted - take care!
Well, we made it through our first week at KAT and it has been interesting.
The center itself is nice - of course it could use more funding, more space and more supplies, but that's to be expected. We hope to make at least a small contribution while we are here (maybe new towels?), and then hope to send a care package at some point from the states with more much needed stuffs.
Unfortunately, the organization of the volunteers at the center is a little confusing, and we both are not sure exactly what our role is or how much we are helping. They seem reasonably well staffed and able to run without volunteers, and we would have to be available for a much longer period if we were to inclined to try to make changes.
Mostly we just play with doggies all day (and one kitten- yay), do some treatments, and go for rides to either do pick ups of drop offs of street dogs. I put in a couple pictures of cute animals for your enjoyment. Please, if anyone is interested in adopting a Nepali dog, I am happy to try and bring one back - there are so many here that need homes! 
I spoke with my mom recently and she was surprised to hear how large Kathmandu is. Truth be told, it is the by far the busiest, craziest city I have ever been in. Including NYC. Including Bangkok. Including Basseterre. There is no organization of anything, and on a two way street (a narrow street! with pedestrians!) you can have up to five lanes of traffic - usually motorcycles but also taxis - going one direction all at different speeds. Everyone is honking and there are people EVERYWHERE. Our experience going to and from the KAT center has only confirmed that this is how all of Kathmandu works, not just Thamel. The only difference is that the roads are wider and you can have about 10 or 12 bikes widthwise per car length. People shoot out of alleyways on their bikes right into traffic at almost full speed. The buses stop an go enough to give anyone a belly ache. And the buses themselves have seats for about 12 and hold about 25 during busy times, with the door boy at times physically shoving people in.
Then we walk an additional 15 minutes back to our room and have to CROSS two main roads on foot. It is insane. I am grateful every night that we make it home with our health and our toes, and I must admit there has been more than one post bus ride shot of whiskey in our room after our 45 minute commute back from the KAT center. That said, we are definitely getting a bit more than the normal tourist experience, which is always good. I tried to take a good "busy" picture today, but as it is Saturday, the volume of vehicles is down a bit - I took one anyway so you can see what a quiet day on the streets of Thamel looks like. Fun stuff. We are still working out the plan for our last days here (should know by tomorrow), but they most definitely include some serious meditation and relaxation. Will keep you all posted - take care!

2 Comments:
Somehow I did imagine Kathmandhu to be a quieter, smaller place, especially considering the "K-K-K-K-K-K Katmandoo" that Bob Seger sang about in the last century. Seems like you've got the hang of it, though. Too bad you and Vin aren't able to exercise your talents and get some practice neutering the animals. It's all a learning experience no matter what. Don't ride a bike!
Kathmandu sounds ridiculous! NYC is a nightmare trying to navigate around it, so I can only imagine how painful it is over there. I think I'd be packing a few pups in my bag on my way home if I was at that shelter - that pic of the pup and kitten together is adorable! I wish my cat was so sweet!
Post a Comment
<< Home