You don't take a trip.
A trip takes you. Thank you Kenny for that brilliant passage- I read it all the time.
So I am here on Koh Tao, happily settled into the Big Blue Diving Resort, where I will start learning how to dive with a class tonight and then in the water tomorrow morn. Not going to lie, its been a rough couple of days. Traveling in Thailand is about my least favorite thing to do in the world- the folks in the transportation of tourists field tend to be a little bit of a bunch of liars. They seem to know JUST enough english to swindle you out of money but not enough to reason or bargain. Blechh. So my eventful travels: I bought a new camera in Krabi before getting to the bus station 30 min after the last bus to Surat Thani left. Got a bus farther north to Chumphon, where I arrived at 10pm and had to put myself in a seriously sketchy situation to get the midnight ferry to Koh Tao. Got there- it wasn't running. Turns out that big Typhoon(or whatever) that wrecked the Phillipines and Vietnam now is making a friendly stopover here in eastern Thailand. So not only was I rerouted to Chumphon, but when I got there, every guest house was full because of the inclement weather and stranded travellers. Ended up rooming with some RANDOM friendly travellers that had a spare bed. This was 11:30pm. Until 4:30am, when I was getting up for the morning ferry, some loud assholes decided that RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR DOOR was a good place to loudly talk until they caught the same ferry. So no sleep. Then this morning onto a stomach churning catamaran ride through the storm to Koh Tao. But alas, I am here, and hopefully will not have to travel for several days...
That said, this is a really nice little place, and thunderstorms keep rolling through every hour or so. Kinda cool. And some things I forgot to mention from Tonsai- Viki and I were fortunate enough to happen on two wild langurs during one of our jungle hikes! Really, REALLY cool. She's got the pics so none here. See earlier posts for photos. And I wanted to give a shoutout to the crew at the Membo bar, where I spent my last four nights on Tonsai throwing back Chang, listening to reggae, and learning the subtle art of fire twirling. Path, Che-Tee, Plong- thanks and good times.
Well, the pics wont load on this computer- I hope its not my new camera, but we'll see. Can't to see you all soon!
So I am here on Koh Tao, happily settled into the Big Blue Diving Resort, where I will start learning how to dive with a class tonight and then in the water tomorrow morn. Not going to lie, its been a rough couple of days. Traveling in Thailand is about my least favorite thing to do in the world- the folks in the transportation of tourists field tend to be a little bit of a bunch of liars. They seem to know JUST enough english to swindle you out of money but not enough to reason or bargain. Blechh. So my eventful travels: I bought a new camera in Krabi before getting to the bus station 30 min after the last bus to Surat Thani left. Got a bus farther north to Chumphon, where I arrived at 10pm and had to put myself in a seriously sketchy situation to get the midnight ferry to Koh Tao. Got there- it wasn't running. Turns out that big Typhoon(or whatever) that wrecked the Phillipines and Vietnam now is making a friendly stopover here in eastern Thailand. So not only was I rerouted to Chumphon, but when I got there, every guest house was full because of the inclement weather and stranded travellers. Ended up rooming with some RANDOM friendly travellers that had a spare bed. This was 11:30pm. Until 4:30am, when I was getting up for the morning ferry, some loud assholes decided that RIGHT OUTSIDE OUR DOOR was a good place to loudly talk until they caught the same ferry. So no sleep. Then this morning onto a stomach churning catamaran ride through the storm to Koh Tao. But alas, I am here, and hopefully will not have to travel for several days...
That said, this is a really nice little place, and thunderstorms keep rolling through every hour or so. Kinda cool. And some things I forgot to mention from Tonsai- Viki and I were fortunate enough to happen on two wild langurs during one of our jungle hikes! Really, REALLY cool. She's got the pics so none here. See earlier posts for photos. And I wanted to give a shoutout to the crew at the Membo bar, where I spent my last four nights on Tonsai throwing back Chang, listening to reggae, and learning the subtle art of fire twirling. Path, Che-Tee, Plong- thanks and good times.
Well, the pics wont load on this computer- I hope its not my new camera, but we'll see. Can't to see you all soon!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home