Goatlets
So I just looked out my window a few minutes ago (actually it was before my marathon conversation with dehaas) and the preggo goat in our little herd had her babies!!! Two little kids, which of course she wont let me near, but I got a couple pictures anyway. Maybe in a few weeks i'll be able to get closer. They are as adorable as can be. 
Life here is pretty good- I went diving yesterday for the first time which was amazing. There was apparently an international reef clean up this weekend, so we were able to go out (for cheap!) with big trash bags and pick up trash off the reef. We went to a reef that was very close to Basseterre harbor/Port Zante, so there was plenty of plastic bags, bottles, cans, etc to pick up. We got a lot- one girl pulled out an old school glass gin bottle from back in the day, which she cleaned out and kept. Also saw a few old rusty anchors which had become part of the reef. I cant wait to go on a shipwreck dive- that sounds so amazing. I'm sure its better in my head than in reality (I mean, Johnny Depp will mostly likely NOT be down there), but still cool.
Hmmm, what else? We did our first palpations this week. Thats when you actually get to touch live animals and see where the organs are in life, as opposed to in the cadavers that we spend most of our time with. So we all troop up to the barn, grab some aminals, and poke them in the belly and chest. Fun for them, I imagine. The best part is the method of catching the sheep though- they are very skittish little critters, and to catch them(since we lack a shepard, as Matt pointed out...), we have to kind of corner them, then wait for them to scatter, then catch one.
Oh and they jump, so you frequently are catching them in mid-air. Its quite a spectacle. Once caught though, they calm down immediately, and then you sit them down on their butts and they just chill and look at you. I cant take pics on campus of any of the animals, but I found this online so you can see how ridiculous they look. Plus our sheep are short hair, so they look like goats.
In other news, my car is having some radiator trouble, but its hopefully going to the mechanic tomorrow for some fixin. Apartment still good, classes still non-inspiring. I have my first TA session this week and I seem to have forgotten a lot from last semester. Well that is why I'm TAing I suppose, to keep my knowledge fresh. OK, thats all- more next week! And it is ok to leave comments on here, I promise. Cya!

Life here is pretty good- I went diving yesterday for the first time which was amazing. There was apparently an international reef clean up this weekend, so we were able to go out (for cheap!) with big trash bags and pick up trash off the reef. We went to a reef that was very close to Basseterre harbor/Port Zante, so there was plenty of plastic bags, bottles, cans, etc to pick up. We got a lot- one girl pulled out an old school glass gin bottle from back in the day, which she cleaned out and kept. Also saw a few old rusty anchors which had become part of the reef. I cant wait to go on a shipwreck dive- that sounds so amazing. I'm sure its better in my head than in reality (I mean, Johnny Depp will mostly likely NOT be down there), but still cool.
Hmmm, what else? We did our first palpations this week. Thats when you actually get to touch live animals and see where the organs are in life, as opposed to in the cadavers that we spend most of our time with. So we all troop up to the barn, grab some aminals, and poke them in the belly and chest. Fun for them, I imagine. The best part is the method of catching the sheep though- they are very skittish little critters, and to catch them(since we lack a shepard, as Matt pointed out...), we have to kind of corner them, then wait for them to scatter, then catch one.
Oh and they jump, so you frequently are catching them in mid-air. Its quite a spectacle. Once caught though, they calm down immediately, and then you sit them down on their butts and they just chill and look at you. I cant take pics on campus of any of the animals, but I found this online so you can see how ridiculous they look. Plus our sheep are short hair, so they look like goats. In other news, my car is having some radiator trouble, but its hopefully going to the mechanic tomorrow for some fixin. Apartment still good, classes still non-inspiring. I have my first TA session this week and I seem to have forgotten a lot from last semester. Well that is why I'm TAing I suppose, to keep my knowledge fresh. OK, thats all- more next week! And it is ok to leave comments on here, I promise. Cya!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home