Goat Water & Coconut Rum
So I’m still fighting with my internet and am currently on campus at 7am before the orientation stuff starts so that I can post this. Orientation, which ends today, has been really wonderful- they certainly have been thorough and gone well beyond school stuff with all sorts of optional activities like dinners out at favorite spots on the island, trips downtown, to the beach, island tours, etc. In such a strange and different place, it’s been good to get to know a group of people decently well before the semester begins. I am feeling much more comfortable here than I was a few days ago.
I put in a few pictures of my group, which is eight girls and two guys. On monday night we went to dinner at our group leaders favorite restaurant, a beachfront place called, and I am not making this up, Mr. X’s Shiggity Shack.
That’s where the group pic is from and also mom and I under the signs posted outside. Read them- they funny. Then on tues I got my books and supplies for school which means that I now actually own a lab coat and stethescope and scalpels and all that. Beyond the good stuff though, I also picked up at least 50 lbs of really fun looking books with titles like “Veterinary Histology” and “Illustrated Biochemistry”. Good times. Dinner on Tues was a BBQ on campus, and I included a shot from it because you can see a little bit of what the school looks like. It’s a gorgeous campus.
Wednesday night after all the orientation stuff and dinner we all went to a kareoke bar that is apparently frequented by students pretty much every Wed. of the semester. Twas fun. Then yesterday we took an island tour and saw some very cool old plantation structures and estates, as well as botanical gardens and a batik shop. Apparently because of its location, climate and size, St. Kitts historically was the most prominent island in the West Indies for hundreds of years, and the people here are very aware and proud of their heritage. There are influences from French, English, South American, Dutch and of course African cultures and I think its going to be pretty interesting to learn more about. I included a picture of an old bell tower on a manor that actually used to be owned by Samuel Jefferson, Tommy’s great great grandfather. I’ve always loved all that historical stuff. Tomorrow we go see the Brimstone Fortress up on the tallest hill on the island. I think it may be an unexplored volcano. Hmmm - should be interesting.


I through in a couple pix from downtown too, one of what they call the “circus”, which is the center of town, and one of me inside the farmers market that runs on Saturday mornings. You can see the different architectural styles all jumbled together and some of the bright Caribbean colors. Ok, that’s enough out of me- I hope to be in touch with you all individually as soon as I can. All the best from da Caribbean mon!

Oh- goat water is actually goat stew, which I haven’t had the pleasure of trying yet. And the rum here is so cheap to make that its actually less expensive than the mixers at the bars, so the drinks are STRONG!!
oh again – my phone number is 869-663-4209. Dialed just like any long distance # in the US. I don’t know how expensive it is for you to call yet, but just so you all have it…
I put in a few pictures of my group, which is eight girls and two guys. On monday night we went to dinner at our group leaders favorite restaurant, a beachfront place called, and I am not making this up, Mr. X’s Shiggity Shack.
That’s where the group pic is from and also mom and I under the signs posted outside. Read them- they funny. Then on tues I got my books and supplies for school which means that I now actually own a lab coat and stethescope and scalpels and all that. Beyond the good stuff though, I also picked up at least 50 lbs of really fun looking books with titles like “Veterinary Histology” and “Illustrated Biochemistry”. Good times. Dinner on Tues was a BBQ on campus, and I included a shot from it because you can see a little bit of what the school looks like. It’s a gorgeous campus.
Wednesday night after all the orientation stuff and dinner we all went to a kareoke bar that is apparently frequented by students pretty much every Wed. of the semester. Twas fun. Then yesterday we took an island tour and saw some very cool old plantation structures and estates, as well as botanical gardens and a batik shop. Apparently because of its location, climate and size, St. Kitts historically was the most prominent island in the West Indies for hundreds of years, and the people here are very aware and proud of their heritage. There are influences from French, English, South American, Dutch and of course African cultures and I think its going to be pretty interesting to learn more about. I included a picture of an old bell tower on a manor that actually used to be owned by Samuel Jefferson, Tommy’s great great grandfather. I’ve always loved all that historical stuff. Tomorrow we go see the Brimstone Fortress up on the tallest hill on the island. I think it may be an unexplored volcano. Hmmm - should be interesting. 

I through in a couple pix from downtown too, one of what they call the “circus”, which is the center of town, and one of me inside the farmers market that runs on Saturday mornings. You can see the different architectural styles all jumbled together and some of the bright Caribbean colors. Ok, that’s enough out of me- I hope to be in touch with you all individually as soon as I can. All the best from da Caribbean mon!

Oh- goat water is actually goat stew, which I haven’t had the pleasure of trying yet. And the rum here is so cheap to make that its actually less expensive than the mixers at the bars, so the drinks are STRONG!!
oh again – my phone number is 869-663-4209. Dialed just like any long distance # in the US. I don’t know how expensive it is for you to call yet, but just so you all have it…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home